Daily observation in a classroom this past month has given me new thoughts and perspectives about teaching. I've always seen myself as a big picture person, and tend to disregard 'the right way' of doing things if I feel that it's not helping me achieve my desired result. I assumed I would view teaching in the same way, ignoring the procedures I don't agree with and doing what works now.
While I still think there is a place for spontaneity in teaching, I'm beginning to realize that procedures also have a valuable place. Providing our students with predictability teaches them that they are in a safe and consistent environment. We teach them the skills they need to become organized to help them become independent and responsible.
The challenge is attending to so many details--recognizing and doing what works for every student every day. While realizing that planning and procedures are essential, I hope that I will also know when to put them aside when they are getting in the way of the goal.
No comments:
Post a Comment