When I began to keep a food journal, the first thing I noticed is how much I snack. My main meals are pretty consistent: a bagel and egg in the morning, a sandwich at lunch, and a typical protein/vegies/starch for dinner. What the food journal brought to my attention was the chips. Not that I didn't know I like snacking, I just didn't realize how much I was actually eating during snack-time. Particularly on the days I stayed at home to study, my journal included several entries of chips, usually eaten with cheese, sour cream, salsa...basically a meal between meals.
After analyzing my eating habits, I set goals for myself to limit my snacking and to eat more fruits and vegetables. For fitness, I sought to vary my work-outs. I currently play indoor soccer on Tuesday nights and outdoor soccer on Wednesday nights, so while I was getting a lot of exercise on those two days, I wasn't doing much the rest of the week. My goal was to integrate yoga, strength, and some different types of cardio into my week. I promised myself I would take advantage of the warmer weather by hiking and running, and planned to go to the gym on the mornings I have class.
I have been somewhat successful in changing my eating habits. It was easy to stop eating chips at home because I stopped buying them. I've never really been excited about eating fruit, but I'm buying more of it, and I'm enjoying the fresh raspberries and cherries that are now in season. I'm still drawn to the kitchen it seems as soon as I open a book, but I'm more conscious of this, and I'm eating cheese and crackers instead of chips and salsa. Just not having chips around seems to take care of the problem--since I don't like crackers as much, I eat less, and so I'm not snacking as much at home.
I have also had some success at varying my exercise routine. Although I have yet to make it to the gym in the morning and know I will probably never do strength training, I've hiked and run a couple of times, and I'm riding my stationary bike before class in the morning.
The few changes I've made seem fairly small, but have made a difference in the way I feel. The exercise in the morning is giving me more energy during the day, so I'm drinking less coffee. Keeping my snacking in check will always be a challenge. Moderation is the key, and when I begin to eat more unhealthy than healthy, a food journal is a great way to see it.
No comments:
Post a Comment