Saturday, June 25, 2011

Knowing and Teaching Health, Fitness, and Issues of Abuse

Week one of second quarter felt a little overwhelming, and I went into it not feeling my healthiest and got immediately behind.  I'll definitely have to use the days and time between classes productively...these classes are going to go by quickly and we have a lot to do.

The most important thing I took away on Wednesday's class was that in health, everything relates to each other.  Our pyschological selves are our physical selves, and vice-versa.  Physical activity is as crucial for thinking as healthy food, when we eat well, we think well, when we're thinking clearly, we have more energy...everything relates and depends on each other.  When we created our maps, I couldn't see how any one particular aspect of health that we came up with wasn't both a cause and an effect of the other aspects.

Thursday's class included a lesson that I would like to use when I'm teaching.  I love the idea of using physical activity and healthy competition to stimulate learning.  Of course, the prevailing worry is that someone in the group keeps the others from "winning," but by selecting teams so randomly, chances are they will be pretty even.

We began working in groups to plan a lesson, and while we know what we want to teach, we're having a hard time pinning down exactly how to create a lesson that will fit into all of the guidelines and teach specifically what we want to teach.  And how will we show the assessment of the learning?  Our topic now seems vague--communication and body image.  But I believe that teaching media literacy is an extremely worthwhile lesson.

This makes me realize that planning meaningful lessons will take time, and it makes sense to use lessons that have already been created when you can.  Even those, though, will take time to find and refine to your own specifications and needs.

Learning to use an epipen was practical and easy, and while I hope I don't have to use one, I'm glad I know how.

No comments:

Post a Comment