Today we compared and evaluated food labels, and I realized that the target consumer for cereal is "health conscious" adults. Even the kid cereals, as full of sugar as they are, are marketed as whole grain and healthy, and the adult cereals contain the same amount of whole grain and sugar as the kids' cereals. I don't really buy cereal as a healthy alternative anyway, but it's good to know that very few are, and it's definitely worth teaching.
A lesson plan I would like to use is to have kids learn how to analyze food labels by bringing labels from home. Not only does it teach the kids to read labels and ingredients, it provides a glimpse into the child's life at home, and may help us learn more about them. I also liked the "guess the food" activity, where a list of ingredients is stapled to a paper bag and the child has to guess what's inside.
We got to see a couple of lessons today, and are beginning to see what works, what kinds of language we will use, and different ways to hold kids' attention. We're learning how to assess and what will count as an actual assessment. It will be useful to have all of these different ideas and plans once we begin our own practices.
No comments:
Post a Comment