I had a lesson observation a couple of weeks ago, and while it is was a little bit stressful to see both my field instructor and my cooperating teacher writing furiously while I taught, I feel like I came away with some good constructive feedback.
My cooperating teacher reminded me after the lesson of the importance of making sure I have the attention of the class before beginning the lesson. The class had just come in from recess, and while I did give them a couple of minutes to get settled, I should have spent more time bringing their focus to the front of the room. Some of the kids were with me, but many were not, and it wouldn't have taken much to make sure that everyone was ready.
Another thing that I continue to work on is to call on everyone in the class, not just the students who have their hands up. I do think about it everytime I teach a lesson, but somehow when I'm up there I get distracted by the eager students and forget to call on the students who would rather just blend in. My cooperating teacher suggested that I create a procedure of moving to different table groups to be sure that everyone is participating.
I think that these are things that will become natural and automatic as I continue to teach, but now is the time to assimilate these ideas and make them part of my teaching practice.
No comments:
Post a Comment